Monday, 3 April 2017

Day 35: Home!

My journey home was relatively uneventful- just long.

We were early into Dubai and scheduled to be early into Sydney. I spent my hour in Dubai in the British Airlines lounge using their wifi to send messages and catch up on email.  We ended up leaving a little late from Dubai. I had a few hours sleep, but by now my body clock was on English time and was trying to wake up. I read 2 novels (eBooks are a great boon on long flights), did a little stitching and rested very comfortably.

This is the progress on my seagull.

We were still scheduled to be early into Sydney  but winds there caused us to slow down. This flight has an exemption from the Sydney curfew so it can land before 6am - but only if it can approach from the East over the sea so the noise doesn't affect too many residences. It the winds are more than 20mph they can't use that approach. We circled to the north for about 10 minutes, then the wind dropped below 20mph. We landed about 5.20am.

I got through customs and immigration ok - then waited for the bus to the domestic terminal. Just when we were pouring out of the bus and up the stairs a rainbow appeared. Surely a great welcome and good omen.

I had been struggling with my hand luggage. The bag I bought at Melbourne on the way over did the job of holding my  on board stuff comfortably - but with its contents it was very heavy.  This was fine when I had my suitcase, as it sat on top. Once however, I had booked my luggage through, it was heavy and there were quite a few long walks in airports.  The bag contained my laptop, iPad, connecting cords & adapters, Qantas PJs & toiletries,  a change of underwear and Kindle. The laptop was the culprit.
In the Sydney Qantas club I got into a conversation with a young woman demonstrating Samsonite luggage - to ask about small wheels bags that fitted on top of suitcases. As I result, I took myself and my heavy bag down to the luggage shop in the airport concourse where I ended up buying this Catherine Manuell bag. It has wheels, a computer pouch AND a broad strap thing for slipping over a larger suitcase so it sits on top.    Plus it's a great colour!
It is extravagant, to say the least, to buy two bags in one trip to solve the same problem. I decided however, it was ridiculous to spend what I have on this trip and then struggle with a heavy bag,
I changed over straight away and packed the old bag into the new. I'm more than ever a bag lady at heart.

 We were delayed leaving Sydney because someone failed to board and their luggage had to be found and removed. We arrived in Adelaide at 10.30 am and I was home by 11.10. -that's 31.5 hours from the Mitre at Hampton Court to my apartment.

The new bag fitted easily on top of my suitcase and was easy to manoeuvre.

All is good. My plants have survived - even thrived in their containers of water - thanks to Anthony topping them up.

I've unpacked.

I'm tired but relaxed and rested (I don't think that is contradictory!). I hope to stay awake to celebrate Fionn's 12th birthday this evening then hope my tiredness brings sleep.

Thanks to those who have followed this blog. This is the last posting. Progress on the seagull will continue in my embroidery blog.  Keeping this blog has provided me with a means of reflecting on and framing my travels and adds considerably to my enjoyment and understanding. Thanks for sharing that with me.

1 comment:

  1. Over the rainbow and back to Oz! That is a nice welcome home. :D

    Thanks for sharing your trip, again. It is always fun to follow along. A little vicarious living!